Here is my flower for this week.
This garden is quite old, at least 3 or 4 years, and I haven't worked on it in a while. I have written about it in some old posts, but I went ahead and took new pictures to see where I am at. The garden is 3/4" hexagons with a fussy cut black on black circle dot for the middle, 30's fabric for the petals, 1 green Jo Morton and 1 Olive/Lime mix leaf print for background. I am planning on making it queen size and the pattern calls for 500 flowers. I want to make each flower a different print, but my eyes are crossing at all the fabrics.
Here is my progress on the quilt so far.
Here is a picture of my flowers not attached to the garden.
So I ran into a not quite problem, but something I need to think about. Since I wanted to make every flower different, I bought entire lines of 30's reproduction fabrics. This means that I ended up with 3 or 4 different colors of the same print. So when I started this project all the prints were the same and all the colors were the same also. Now that I have been collecting fabric for at least 4 years I have a good mix of colors and prints. What I should now start doing is pulling from my newer fabrics to make a better color mix. So all of the flowers that are already sewn I need to keep until I get further along. Kind of frustrating that I can't use the ones in the picture yet, but I want to do it right because I am putting all this effort into it.
Here is a picture of all of the pieces I have cut up to this date. I am pretty close to having all of my 30's print flower pieces cut. I only have about half of my black dot center pieces cut and half of my green background pieces. There is a LOT of pieces here. The Hello Kitty lunch box is full size and the box beside it is a shoe box with 2 layers stacked on top of each other. I like to use the lunch boxes because they are hard so the papers don't get squished and the needles don't poke through, plus the boxes have the locked latch. Whenever I run out of hexagons, I add more fabric to the tin.
I have also been working on Attaching all my Red Hot Garden flowers together and I will post updated pics next week.