Friday, December 28, 2012

My I Do and Heartstrings Quilts Plus a Finished Top

This is the I Do Quilt from Cherry House Quilts that I had taken a class on like 3 years ago.

I have all the pieces cut and have started to applique the circles. I had decided that I didn't like the look of the 6 min circle on Cherry House Quilts blog because the circle didn't "poof" out of the fabric just sunk below the fabric. I don't care for machine applique either. So I decided to hand applique all the 40 some 4" circles. I asked for the pain and I got it. I love the look of the hand applique and I only have about 8 circles left (Yeah!). I hope to have the circles completed by the middle of January. 
Here are the pieces laid out by row in stacks.
I have also been working on another class quilt called Heartstrings by Black Mountain Quilts. I changed this quilt by changing the background to a dark red and making it a queen size. I think I still have 10+ blocks to make.  This is another quilt I need to dig out and work on. I put the quilt up on the design wall at my quilt shop to see if I like the dark red background. It looks okay. It is actually a Kaffe Fassett shot cotton with red and purple threads so it has an iridescent look to it.

This is a finished top from a class I took in October. It is a beginner foundation piecing class taught by Carl Hentsch. The class was very good, but my fabric choices were HORRIBLE! I didn't think about which pieces would be dominant in the finished project. I really wanted the brown stars to stand out in the yellow. My main quilting teacher gave me the idea to quilt the pink fabric with purple thread and quilt the purple fabric with pink thread. It might tone both fabrics down enough to make the quilt tolerable. I have several small quilts I need to sandwich and quilt, so we will see if it works then.
Here is the not so pretty quilt



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the colors of your I Do quilt! Some ladies at my church started a quilting connect group. I'll have to send you the info if you are ever available to join them.

Sarah said...

I would love to. I do lots of little get togethers. You learn a lot when you have other opinions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails